In its fifth year, the Shadows-on-the-Teche Plein Air Competition received a record number of 73 applicants from 19 states. Of the 30 participants selected, nine of them are from Louisiana while the others hail from 19 states, ranging from New York to Florida and everywhere in between.
During their eight-day stay, artists are free to travel throughout Acadiana to seek inspiration, and guests are encouraged to follow along as spectators. To paint plein air means to paint outdoors. Competition organizer Jerome Weber offers insight as to why artists travel across the country to capture the landscape and architecture of Acadiana.
“Iberia Parish as a home for an artist, as a place to paint scenery, it’s probably the best in the country,” Weber expresses. “Because the scenery we have here is like nothing else in the world.”
Artists arrive on March 9 and stay through March 16. During this time there are plenty of events for artists and non-artists alike to enjoy.
Five Can’t Miss Plein Air Events
- Art Lecture with Morgan Samuel Price – On Wednesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m., Florida based plein air artist, instructor and this year’s judge, will provide a free public program on plein air painting at the Shadows Visitor Center.
- Painting Demonstration – Every year, the judge chooses where they will lead a painting demonstration, which is open to the public. This year, Price will be doing her painting demonstration in the Shadows Gardens on Thursday, March 14.
- Paint Out – Last year, with the help of The James Devin Moncus Family Foundation, the competition increased the participation of high school art students in the annual Paint Out. On Friday, March 15, all interested artists (of all ages) are invited to take place in this free activity from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Shadows Garden and across downtown New Iberia.
- Quick Draw – The newly added Quick Draw will take place on the morning of Saturday, March 16. Competitors will have two hours to complete a painting in downtown New Iberia. Works will be judged, awarded ribbons and prizes. The art will then be available for purchase right off of the easels.
- Fine Art Sale – The competition comes to a close on Saturday at 3 p.m. with the fine art sale at The Shadows-on-the-Teche Visitors Center. Participating artists plein air pieces will be available for purchase.
For more information, please contact The Shadows-on-the-Teche at 337-369-6446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.