default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Teacher Pay

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:00 am

Someone Who Knows!

SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS?

I, for one am sick and tired of those highly paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes and they only work nine or ten months a year!

It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do…baby-sit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right…I would give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be $15 a day.

Each parent should pay $15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

Now, how many students do they teach in a day… maybe 25 (average)?

Then that's $15 x 25 = $375 a day.

But, remember, they only work 180 days a year!

I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see… that's $375 x 180 = #67,500.00 (Hold on, my calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers or the ones with Master's Degrees?

Well, we could pay them minimum wage, just to be fair.

Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour.

That would be $6 x 5 hours x 25 children x 180 days = $135,000.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!

(There sure is!)

So, to all my fellow teachers, I say we settle for minimum wage!

• Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

122 comments:

• Anonymous posted at 12:27 pm on Wed, Mar 24, 2010.

Anonymous Posts: 127364

I would just like to say, who cares how much anyone makes. It's not anyone's business in the first place. Secondly, HOME SCHOOL if you have a problem! ahhaha. And that you WON'T do. Please shut up and stop worrying about petty sh*t. Teachers deserve the pay and the vacation time they get, not only do they have to deal with YOUR kids they have to deal with YOUR IGNORANT A$$. Thank you. Peace Out it's 2010.

• Anonymous posted at 5:55 pm on Sun, Oct 12, 2008.

As a teacher in this parish, I would not complain about the pay if it weren't for the additional stress that is included into my work. YES, I CHOSE THIS PROFESSION, however, I did not chose to have 17 year olds in my 7th grade class that tell me they hope I die because they were ill prepared for my test. In addition to that, the parent calls to complain saying my test was the problem, its funny because out of 60 or so students, 11 made a "D" or lower. Parents, accept that sometimes IT IS YOUR CHILD'S FAULT!

• Anonymous posted at 5:38 am on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

Why are you still commenting on this? You just keep going on and on and on. Everyone gets your point. Move to a new thread!

• Anonymous posted at 9:25 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Ok would you say that teachers work 10 months a year? 11? a full year? 13 months? Seriously.... How much would you(a teacher) say that you work a year? Please also mind the holidays in addition to the summer time off that you have. Just real quick, 2 week for Christmas 1 week for thanks giving, 1 week for Easter, 2(or3) days for mardi gras. That’s just the long ones, we don’t need to worry about MLK or anything like that. SO right there that’s over a month in holidays. So please tell us. What do you think you work?

• Anonymous posted at 6:29 pm on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

To AC etal, You think that teachers only work ine months out of the year? what a load of bs. You do not have the slightest idea what is involved in teaching. What is a person in the business world with a master degree worth? $65-70,000? I have a master degree and work two additional jobs. Yes teacher pay has increased since I first began. You want to know what I do? Then by all means come to NISH and you can work with me a week and see what it is really like.

• Anonymous posted at 5:05 pm on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

AC: I don’t think that we have to worry or try to anticipate the implications of teachers making $75,000 per year. I don’t think that will happen anytime soon.

• Anonymous posted at 3:23 pm on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

Actually, colleges and universities do not pay all that great for individuals who are strictly teachers. For instance, starting salary at LSU for an Associate Professor is $42,000 (http://www.jobs-salary.com/salary-of-louisiana-state-university.htm). First year Iberia Parish teachers will be making more than that next year. Where professors make their money is in publications and research, which can definitely bring in high six figure incomes. I have two friends who work at ULL, one is an instructor/doctorial candidate and the other is a tenure-track full professor. One makes $21,000 a year and the other makes $108,000.

• Anonymous posted at 8:25 am on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

Also that would force almost all the teachers who currently only have a bachelors to go back to school and get their phd to continue to have the ability to fight for their job. Is that what they want? I remember specifically suggesting (to the teachers who want to make more money) to go back college and get their phd and teach in a college level, i got a response that said they couldn’t because of their family, although if they would be let go then that wouldn’t be good for their family either.

• Anonymous posted at 8:21 am on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

The most qualified would not necessarily be the best person for the job. There are a lot of very very very intelligent people who cannot teach others because they cannot form their thoughts into simple enough words for people to understand. I know that I would personally get my PhD and become a teacher if the salary started at 75k per year. At the same time, I don’t think that I would be a better teacher than some of the current teachers with a bachelors.

• Anonymous posted at 5:38 am on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

If the starting pay for teachers was $75,000 per year, then local school systems might have lots of applicants to choose from for each position. They could then hire the absolute best people for these important jobs. As it stands now, many school systems may have only 1-2 people to choose from for a particular teaching position.

• Anonymous posted at 3:03 am on Wed, Oct 8, 2008.

OK for the person who said that teachers should get 75k per year..... If teachers were paid that then you might be out of a job.... for 75k/year most people with masters would take that... esp since you only work 9 months out of the year. I know I would take that job.... So if teachers would get 75k per year, you better go back to school for your masters or phd because that job market will be flooded with people trying to get in.... I wish they would make that, I would definatly teach then.

• Anonymous posted at 4:33 am on Tue, Oct 7, 2008.

those "bonus" checks that someone said that iberia parish teachers get....WELL...LET ME correct you and others who are misinformed....that extra check in december and july is NOT a bonus check........that money is taken out each teacher's annual salary and split into too extra checks....so that means you get less on your normal monthly check.......this money is not a bonus, is not extra money on top of the annual pay scale.....say all you want but teachers are not paid enough for what they do.....75g should be the pay across the board....

• Anonymous posted at 3:27 pm on Sun, Oct 5, 2008.

I don't know what school you're talking about, but it's sure not like that at mine. We work, work, work. Period! Most elementary schools are predominently female and students aren't that in tune to what is going on with teachers. Please don't bash us all. Let's not begin the topic of so-workers seeing each other on the side. I promise you, it happens everywhere. To REAL TALK--I doubt you've seen that at "many schools", like you said. One has to wonder, why are you being moved to so MANY schools?

• Anonymous posted at 2:42 pm on Sun, Oct 5, 2008.

To current teacher; if you happen to note the times that my responces were written, it was my lunch break, which I get 30 minutes. I do hope that you only bring your negativity to this forum and not your classroom where you can potentionally influence the mind of a child.

• Anonymous posted at 2:20 am on Sun, Oct 5, 2008.

Teacher are getting paid more and doing less of a job now. My daughter comes home and tell me about some of the drama @ school she see, but then again the school she goes to is a mess. She is in the process of being transfered. I pray for our kids if they have to deal with young ignorant teachers like some of the ones in our school system today. And they wonder why test scores are low, they are 2 focused on each other than the students.

• Anonymous posted at 2:00 am on Sun, Oct 5, 2008.

Some teachers are over paid. Some teachers go to school for the mess and drama instead of being there for the kids. I work in the system and I see some of these teachers gossiping about who is sleeping with who, they need to focus on the children. Those children talk about all the drama they have to deal with @ school because the relationship the teachers have with each other instead of teaching and the sad thing about it is the principal let stuff like this go on. I see it first hand and have seen it @ manyschools

• Anonymous posted at 4:21 pm on Sat, Oct 4, 2008.

Some of you have misconceptions about what happenes in a school. Let me share. It begins with 45 minutes of whole group reading, and hour of literacy centers, 10 minutes of recess duty, one hour of writing, 20 minutes of lunch (walking around of course), switiching students, 45 more min. of reading, 1 hour literacy centers, oh and now I get my first break which is great because I haven't even had a chance to go to the bathroom since 8 am and it is now 2. Students leave just after 3. I will stay and work till almost 6

• Anonymous posted at 8:22 am on Sat, Oct 4, 2008.

Teachers in La. do start at a decent salary now. That was not always the case. I agree with AC that teacher unions should stop the annual battle cry for more pay, though. To those who claim that they do not get annual pay raises, check out the IPSB pay schedule:http://www.iberia.k12.la.us/departments/human_resources/forms/salary_schedule.pdfYou'll notice that for most years there is a small step increase. In the business world that is called a "raise." Also, there are "tax supplement" checks given in December and June, otherwise known as a "bonus."

• Anonymous posted at 8:01 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

to just wondering, yes they have a company car, company gas, sometimes they can claim cell phones, and no they dont have expense accounts. They got a $6000.00 raise recently so they start off more than they used to. Some P O are just people wasting time because they don't do their jobs.

• Anonymous posted at 7:14 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

I work in Medical Records and we get paid hourly and are not allowed to make overtime, and yes I have a college degree. I considered going back to school to get my degree in teaching because I would have better hours and more vacation time to spend with my kids and believe it or not make more money; but I will never have the patience to put up with the kind of things that ya'll do. So I'm in no way mocking teachers I just want to let you know that some college-degrees-make-less-than-you.

• Anonymous posted at 6:52 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

Teachers are putting up with disrespectful and neglected children. I assume the people who bash teachers are just as disrespectful and ignorant as the children they are producing.

• Anonymous posted at 6:32 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

yeah we just got a raise in the state/parish.......it came out to 27 dollars a week extra or about 5.75 a day extra...not too much.....i have been teaching for 18 years.....teachers are not struggling anymore to make ends meet but some still do and they are not paid what they should be paid...a single teacher cant even afford to buy his/her own house unless they have a second income.......in my opinion every teacher should be paided 75g across the board...no more, no less........

• Anonymous posted at 4:23 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

There are entirely too many numbers in this post. This is partially due to the fact that some people feel it is necessary to get on everyday and argue their points to death with anyone who had an oposing opinion. It is not necessary to continue posting the same comment about teacher pay every time someone disagrees with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We agree to disagree.

• Anonymous posted at 2:59 am on Thu, Oct 2, 2008.

There are too many numbers in this article to really keep my attention. Best advice is if you think teachers are overpaid and are not doing a good job then home school your child yourself. The End!

• Anonymous posted at 4:51 pm on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

could "AC" please stop using this forum to argue her point.

• Anonymous posted at 3:59 pm on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

Oh I am sorry, it looks like you get paid to sit at a computer all day and post forums for the Daily Iberian while WE are in school EDUCATING or Working! Get a life please!

• Anonymous posted at 12:29 pm on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

So the health care professional has to pay 600 + 150 a month for insurance,(that is sad also)but you did fail to mention your annual salary. Could you inform us because I'm not familiar with all the occupations at the hospital. Please include the overtime hours if you get paid ( Is it time and half or double time per hour?), as a teacher we just get straight time pay. just curious

• Anonymous posted at 10:02 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

since you are so full of knowledge, do POs get a company car, gas ,cell phone and expense accounts? Do you know how much they pay for health and dental insurance a month? Get the numbers on the above and let us know. I'll be waiting. You're so entertaining. lol

• Anonymous posted at 9:35 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

Also if you only pay $600/month and $70/month for you, your husband, and your kids (assuming you have some since you said family) That is actually somewhat cheap if you are really paying 100% of it. Also Dental is not even close to required, how many times have you gone to the dentist and they say, can I see your insurance card? Not often, they mostly will ask if you have it and if you say no they say ok. If you go to a Dr. and say no they say ok well you need to pay XX.XX upfront.

• Anonymous posted at 9:14 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

I have insurance with IPSB. I really don't feel that the insurance rates are that high. I have a co-pay for doctor visits and prescriptions. Compared to several of my friends, I always felt that I had a good insurance.

• Anonymous posted at 9:13 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

Ok AC, we get it, you can complete math calculations. Give it a rest. You have argued your opinion to the death. Everyone understands your point of view. Begining teachers do not need to make any more money. They start off making plenty. Veteran teachers, on the other hand, do not make much more than new teachers. That is one thing I feel is unfair. I do not necessarily believe that teachers as a whole should be given a raise, but older teachers should definitely be making more.

• Anonymous posted at 7:53 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

Yes I pay more than your $600 for a family insurance plan and $150 per month for dental and I happen to work for a hospital. It all depends on which plan your company chooses, so please don't feel that you are the only one who pays to much for health insurance. Be grateful, some companies don't offer their employees the option of having health insurance.

• Anonymous posted at 7:22 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

OH yes thats true... most people dont have insurance? oh wait... yes they do and most peoples companies dont pay for 100% of it..... but again lets see... a teacher makes 40k per year - 8040=$31,960/yearstill almost $2k more than the P&P officer I spoke about ealier... And more time off... the more I keep saying these numbers... I might take soem education classes and become a teacher

• Anonymous posted at 4:55 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

If you go into teaching for the finacial bennits you were not properly educated . Teaching never did nor probable ever will pay fairly. They're given a schedual of work a year in advance ( can plan a life) and work 1/2 the year. 180 school days ,10 days of no questions asked sick leave. Never a weekend. They close the schools for bad weather,voting,etc. I don't regret teaching. Most rewarding job I've ever held. I do agree they should get a $10,000 a year raise minimum. They try to do what some parents won't . TEACH

• Anonymous posted at 4:45 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

As a former educator ,I loved the job ,but the pay was lousy. I make more in 3 weeks than in a school year. The rewards are priceless. Your spirit is always at peak levels. All endeavors owe the educational system to get them where thet're at today. Society is flawed when sports are paid more to "PLAY" in one hour than what a teacher , or a soilder make in a year. Some kids are a joy to teach and some make you wonder how long before they are in prison. If you can read this thank a teacher.

• Anonymous posted at 4:43 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

I'm sure you are very happy with your job, AC. Like me, all you do is just sit on the computer and spew your ignorant opinion on issues that don't really matter. 99.9% of the working population can get on here and say that they don't get paid enough for the job that they perform. Thats life. Get over it.

• Anonymous posted at 3:21 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

No i am actually very happy in my job to tell you the truth. I love my job.... which is why i cannot stand when people complain about not making enough money. EVERYONE chooses the field in which they work. If you dont think you make enough money, quit, do something else. If you dont want to change fields, move somewhere else. I hear Katy, Texas school teachers make like 60k/year. The bad part is that the cost of living is higher there. Just stop complaining. Or YOU do something about it. Stop waiting for other people to do it.

• Anonymous posted at 2:39 am on Wed, Oct 1, 2008.

Does anyone know how much we pay for family health insurance a month? It is about $600 a month. Dental insurance is about $70 a month. Let's do the math on that. 600 + 70 = 670 x 12 =$8040 a year out of our $ 40,000. Please let us know what other profession has to pay that much per month for health insurance.

• Anonymous posted at 1:06 pm on Tue, Sep 30, 2008.

AC must be a very disgruntled employee wherever he/she must work. Thank goodness you are not in our profession!

• Anonymous posted at 4:19 pm on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

If you take all holidays that teachers are given they only work 180 days per year during school.... so lets say they work another 14 days when school lets out and 14 more before school lets in... 204 days ..... 365-204= 164... most people get 104(weekend days) and 10 paid holidays. so 114.... teachers get 164... 164-114= 50 more days than almost every other job. and yet still make more than most. Get over it.... you know what nevermind. You win. I will give one teacher my check every 2-weeks, it will be like a lottery. Teachers are Aweomse&deserve more$$$!!

• Anonymous posted at 7:21 am on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

supervisors and never did their field work. Teachers are held accountable for their work and don't get paid enough. THANKS TEACHERS FOR A JOB WELL DONE>

• Anonymous posted at 7:20 am on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

for not doing their job like teachers do. P & P officers get paid for training, teachers don't most of the time. P & P officers are given a car and a gas card for their job, teachers use their own car and gas for their job. Teachers have to put up with the discipline problems, where as P & P officers can put their offenders in jail. Stop comparing P & P to teaching. I know teachers don't move up to supervisors if they don't do their job, but P&P officers become

• Anonymous posted at 7:16 am on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

To AC: first of all, probation and parole officers don't teach people what they didn't learn. They are there to help them get clean and stay out of jail. Just like teachers, probation and parole officers know there salaries before they get the job. I agree P & P officers need to get paid more, but most of those officers don't do their job anyway and don't get held accountable for it. There are many P & P officers that don't have a college degree because they were in law enforcement for some time

• Anonymous posted at 7:05 am on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

This job is not for you. Oh by the way, who taught you law makers to read and write, a teacher. Who taught you math, science, social studies, a teacher. Teachers don't get paid nearly what they should, so if your not a teacher, don't complain.

• Anonymous posted at 7:04 am on Mon, Sep 29, 2008.

I don't teach 25 students a day I teach almost 55 kids a day. That would be 3 X 5 X55 X 180 thats $148,000.00. Oh I'll take that. But wait I coach two sports. Thats another 4 hours a day X 6 days a week for the sport X 30 kids between the two, okay thats another 17,280.00. That would total 165, 280.00. I would take that. Oh thats right is not about the money. Its about the kids. If you don't have compasion for the kids

• Anonymous posted at 4:31 am on Sun, Sep 28, 2008.

The response of "a teacher" (Sept 27, 2:04 pm) clearly demonstrates why teachers get so little respect. Her letter is riddled with poor spelling and grammar. She has great difficulty writing a complete sentence and she doesn't know the difference between "aloud" and "allowed." Look at the number of errors she made while writing a brief paragraph! If this is the intellectual standard our schools are setting, it's no wonder Lousiana is at the bottom of national rankings in education.

• Anonymous posted at 5:04 pm on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

As a substitute teacher for the past 3 yrs., I would like to express my sincere appreciation for every teacher in this state! The school I substitute at is Pre-K through 12th grade in a small community. If you follow their lesson plan, walk in their shoes for a week or 3 yrs. as I have, you will clearly see that Teachers deserve what they are paid and more! Keeping children focused, on task and in the learning mode is something all critics should take on before judging not only the teachers, but their pay!

• Anonymous posted at 9:32 am on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

You ignore some interesting stats regarding teachers. Each 5 years we lose 50% of our teachers. Remember it takes roughly $100K of state funds to train each of these teachers.I would like to see you do what these teachers do each day they enter their classrooms. I doubt that you could.Louisiana loses thousands of teachers to Texas because of a much better pay scale.The biggest myth is the 10-month work year. I always had to find a summer job to pay the bills.

• Anonymous posted at 9:20 am on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

To:AC-I don't know any teacher that works only 9 months! Kids start school in August. Teachers are in their classroom through June and July getting things ready so that when students arrive the second week of August, the room is CLEAN and materials prepared! Yes teachers have to clean their own classroom! Janitorial services only sweep and wax the floor, teachers wipe and actually clean everything else. Those long holiday vacations that you think we get, yes, we spend most of that time working on school stuff too. By the way.If you can read this thank a teacher!

• Anonymous posted at 9:04 am on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

Those that think we only work 5 hrs/day. I get to work at 7:25. I don't get a lunch break, because I have to monitor my students while I carry my plate and eat standing up. I'm only aloud 20minutes to get 27 students seated and myself served.My only break is a 30minute planning period.During which I plan lessons for all of my classes, grade papers for 81 students, contact parents, fix computers, check for lice, handle discipline and run the 4-H club. I leave school around 4:00 or 4:30. 7-8hours! I do about 3-4hrs of work at home!Total 10-12hrs/day!

• Anonymous posted at 8:43 am on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

To all those who say that teachers knew the pay before they started:You are right, I did know the pay, and I chose this career anyway. Where would this world be? Where would you be if all teachers looked at the pay scale and decided not to teach? Teaching is the one occupation that makes other high paying occupations possible. How many doctors would we have if there weren't any teachers to teach them.

• Anonymous posted at 6:27 am on Sat, Sep 27, 2008.

TO AC: State civil service workers are eligible for 4% raises each year, teachers are not.

• Anonymous posted at 3:31 pm on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

As much as I don't want to humor AC, I'll put my 2 cents (or 44K?) in... no other job I can think of requires you to: have a college degree, work COUNTLESS (so PLEASE stop trying to do the math!!) hours at home, furnish a classroom, supply people with unbought supplies, and deal with (some) ignorant, petty, mean, and rude parents -who are to blame for the residents of IPCC- without the luxury of carrying a weapon. Maybe you should thank the teacher that taught you how to multiply instead of worrying about what car she drives.

• Anonymous posted at 11:51 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

If I am correct about the 4% raise.Which I am not saying I am so please dont crucify me if I am wrong about that.I am only assuming it because every other state job that I know of gets can get that 4% raise if their work was satisfactory.So...a few more numbers. Start at40,000..after a year 41,600. After 5,$48,000. After 20,$87,000. I can already hear it, "yea right, a teacher making 87K/year"Ask the teachers that just retired after 30 years what they started at,it was around 15k/year and they retired close to 45-50k/year. So it isn’t absurd.

• Anonymous posted at 11:42 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

I NEVER SAID THAT TEACHERS ARE OVERPAID!Why do people keep saying that I said that. I think they are paid fairly. I do not think they need a raise. I also know that teachers get paid over 12 months. If you go and read,I said that they make $4444/month worked.That is a fact. Teachers only work 9months per year. As for what 25 years of experience give you, I dont know.I would assume, as with most state jobs,they are eligible for a 4% raise every year. Are they?P.S.I am telling the "California Teacher" to go back to California.

• Anonymous posted at 8:38 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

No one said that teachers should start off making more. There is not a big difference in what new teachers make and what teachers who have twenty five years of experience make. We also do not make $4444.44 a month. The pay is split up into 12 monthly checks and 2 bonuses. So actually, we do not receive bonuses, as other proffessionals might. We are just receiving a larger portion of a salary at one time. Who exactly are you telling to go back to California?

• Anonymous posted at 8:35 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

To AC: If teachers are so overpaid, why is there a constant shortage of teachers throughout Louisiana? It seems like more people would major in Education to reap the rewards of those high salaries. Louisiana is trying to reach the southern average of teacher pay. The southern average is 90% of the national average. Louisiana is ranked 42nd in the nation. These low salaries, the difficulty of the job, and the realization that teachers can earn more money in other jobs probably contribute to the high turnover rate.

• Anonymous posted at 4:34 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

I never said they just babysit.I never said they are overpaid. I said they make a good living.Dont try to put words in my mouth.I don't think they need to start out making more than they currently make.There is no reason for a person who works 9 months out of the year to make more than $40,000 when they are fresh out of college.They make $4444.44 per month that they work. How is that not enough?If they worked year round at that rate, they would make $53,333. Maybe you can ask to have school year-round. Then, I would support $53,333/year.

• Anonymous posted at 4:29 am on Fri, Sep 26, 2008.

All I can say is that I hope that it isn't true that California Teachers are better than ours. This is not an article, this is a post in a forum by a disgruntled teacher. Do you see a by line? Are you really a teacher? There is no way that someone who went to and graduated from college would believe this was a printed article in any reputable newspaper, is there? If you are a teacher, are you one of the teachers that allow students to use Wikipedia as a reference for factual data? Please go back to California.

• Anonymous posted at 5:49 pm on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

This is the most stupid article I have seen this newspaper print. What is the point anyway?

• Anonymous posted at 11:37 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

You made your point, over and over again. There is no reason to continue rephrasing your opinion and posting it over and over. We get it, teachers are overpaid and do nothing but babysit.You have a lot of opinions about teachers for not being one and not working with any teachers.

• Anonymous posted at 10:44 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I would also like to point out that I have never said that teaching was easy.I do not think it is easy. However,I do think that it is easier than some jobs that are paid less money.I just hate to hear people complain about people not making enough money.That is in general,not just teachers.There are ways to make more money.Most of the time though,the people who go after a job because of money,are not happy. Teachers in general are happy because they make a difference. Sometimes you have to sacrifice money,to be happy.Money isn't everything.Some teachers need to learn that.

• Anonymous posted at 10:39 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

First off.... "A Teacher" I think you need to reread the original post. It was written by a teacher, he/she was being sarcastic at the beginning. Second, I do appreciate what teachers do. I do not want to teach, if I did want to, I would. I have a tremendous amount of respect for almost all teachers. The teachers that I don’t respect for are the ones who whine about how little they make, when in fact they make a very good living. I am sorry if it sounds like I am putting teachers down, I do not mean to.

• Anonymous posted at 10:38 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

AC does not know what it takes to be an actual teacher. You see AC, the state does give us the comprehensive curriculum and our parishes sometimes give us instructional calendars, but those only cover one or two activities. In order to captivate the attention of todays kids, you have to switch lessons every 10 minutes. That is five lessons per class per day. So by the end of the day, I have at least 540 pages of poor handwriting to read and grade to be returned the next day, all while doing my own research for the next lesson.

• Anonymous posted at 9:24 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I for one am very thankful for the job that these teachers do. I would not want to be a teacher for all of the money in the world. Kids today are horrible and are only getting worse, it all starts at home. I have had some teachers who I feel maybe should have chosen a different career, but for the most part my daughter has had incredible teachers these last 12 years. Thank you for ALL of your hard work!

• Anonymous posted at 8:13 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

What teacher has ever been fired for children failing? Unfortunately my kids go to public school. They do not spend all day watching movies and tv. It's just I do not understand how it's such hard work to turn on a tv. What teachers need to do is work in the private sector for a year. Many of us have no paid holidays, vacation, sick leave,retirement. And if we don't do our job we are fired not: maybe possibly. We also have to work these so called educated children. You ought to try and do that.

• Anonymous posted at 7:14 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

We spend many many days and nights doing work for which we do not get paid. We work in our rooms all summer, preparing, going to workshops to learn new methods. We think about our students when we're at home with our families. Most of us are really working as hard as we possibly can to provide your children with the best education we can. All teachers need respect and our pay should reflect our hard work and professionalism.

• Anonymous posted at 7:11 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

Why did you start this post, to talk bad about people who chose to work their behinds off MOST of the year trying to teach your children? I don't think that teachers constantly need raises, although I appreciate them- what we need more than anything is for parents to take responsibility for raising their children properly, and for the system to give teachers the support they need in the form of materials, extra teachers, and paraprofessionals. We are overloaded and overworked and if you worked one day in the schools you wouldn't complain about us.

• Anonymous posted at 6:55 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I do not think I am over or underpaid. I love my job and would not want to do anything else. I offended by AC's lack of respect for what teachers do. He has made teaching seem so easy and so simple, like its hardly work at all. In reality, we work harder than most people could even dream. We also develop personal relationships with our students. We are proud of their accomplishments and saddened by their failures. That is more than most proffessionals put into their jobs. AC, you would have to be a teacher to fully understand.

• Anonymous posted at 6:13 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

Unlike some people posting on this subject, I appreciate every teacher my children have had. I could not spend all day in a class with someone else's disrespectful child regardless of what the pay is. I have spent time in my children's classes and have wanted to beat a few of those kids myself. Good job teachers! Keep up the Great Work!

• Anonymous posted at 5:20 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I think that my opinion is the majority. Why is it unfair for me to say that? I firmly believe that if you poll the parents of the students, they will not think that teachers need to start out at over $40,000/year. In fact I will be willing to say that the vast majority (over 65%) would think they are adequately paid. Honestly I don’t think many people know what teacher’s real pay is. Most people would probably think somewhere around $30,000, maybe even less. I didn’t think it was $40,000 until after reading this post. I thought about 30-35k.

• Anonymous posted at 5:16 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I am not mad at teachers. I disagree with the ones who say that they deserve a raise. They start out making over the national average for starting salaries of people with college degrees. If you look at hourly, they make WELL over that amount. Even if you say they work a regular job's hours(estimated at 2000/year) that means they make $20/hour....in reality they don’t though, they get over 4 months of vacation days per year. I am a numbers kind of guy, 8x4=32+5(just for good measure)=37weeksX40hours=1480 at $40,000/year=$27/hour... Is $27/hour not good enough for a 1st year teacher?

• Anonymous posted at 4:23 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

I have a hard time putting together a teacher and a parole officer in the same light. Let's see here, parole officer has three "field days" which are pretty much his/her to do what she wants. You can check them out by going to the local mall in Lafayette and see what they are really doing! Anywho, lots more to say about that, but, I won't at this point. Teachers and parole officers, accept your pay and the work involved, or do the honorable thing, quit now and get another job.

• Anonymous posted at 4:09 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

This is getting out of hand, you (teachers) are entitled to your opinions and we (parents) have ours. They do have wonderful teachers who do their job and never complain then there are the ones like these posters who only took the job for the time off and then want to complain about their pay! You talk about all the work you bring home, well maybe you should spend less school time posting on this forum and grading papers and you wouldn't have to bring work home. 75% of these posts were made during school hours!

• Anonymous posted at 3:59 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

AC seems to have a lot of free time on his hands, with all the posting he has been doing on this thread.

• Anonymous posted at 3:58 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

If all your children do is watch movies and television at school, you should seriously consider switching your children to another school. All the state provides is the standars, benchmarks, and GLE's. Teachers must create fun, innovative, and interesting lessons from these standards, benchmarks, and GLE's.Since it is so easy, please try and create your own lesson plan for a week. Teachers are held accountable for the number of students in their classroom that are unable to pass standarized tests. If too many children too frequently fail, the teacher can possibly lose his or her job.

• Anonymous posted at 3:16 am on Thu, Sep 25, 2008.

When I talk to my children they watch movies, tv and other important things in school. I am sure this takes a lot of planning. Most of the "planning" is set up by the State, at least the small print on the homework lists the internet site.One other question is what accountability do teachers have? If it went by actual education teachers would be paid less each year as the dumbing down of students has been going on for years. The teachers are not the whole problem, it is the union and education system in general.

• Anonymous posted at 4:19 pm on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

AC: Why are you so mad at teachers? Did a teacher educated you at one time? I don't hear you complaining about the job they did!

• Anonymous posted at 3:18 pm on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Well, if you as a parole officer are unhappy with your pay, try working at Wal-Mart because some of the employees make more than you do!!! And, guess what? They don't have a degree!! Go Wal-Mart.

• Anonymous posted at 3:12 pm on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Well, the way I look at it is the parole officers went to school for that as well. So, why did they choose to work with the delinquents at such a low pay? Get a grip. We teachers have to deal with those that the parents can't control. They are sent to another school for behavior management and they still end up in trouble or in jail. Blame the parents, not the teachers. We don't teach family morals. So, what is the job of the parents?

• Anonymous posted at 2:48 pm on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I think it is unfair to say that you and your opinion are the majority. Perhaps the Parole Officers should ask for a raise. No one is debating that their job is difficult, but teachers jobs are just as difficult and exhausting. Try teaching before you develop such a negative opinion about teaching and teachers.

• Anonymous posted at 1:05 pm on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Does anyone else here think AC is on drugs? All this rambling and going back and forth makes me dizzy. Let's make a pact to not respond to him anymore. That's what this guy wants. Teachers, you have my support. Goodbye AC.

• Anonymous posted at 10:39 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

But.... Please to the person who posted this: "" Teachers get summers off and they are off for every majer holiday. I wouldnt mind being a teacher no matter how much they make "Please do not start teaching, or if you do, don't teach spelling. It is spelled "Major"

• Anonymous posted at 10:35 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Add in the amount that the government will no longer be helping schools with for meals at $2/kid per day that’s $9000. So that’s $67500-$12000-7500-9000=39,000 for elementary school teachers only. If you have a masters then you can’t have $6 per hour, but you get an extra $2 per day per child, that’s $9000 per year, hmm cancels out that money for the lunches, oh wait we wont waste teachers with masters degrees on anything but honors courses. Books are more…..$500 per child so $200 more. So that’s $5000. Ok add it up $39000+9000-5000=43000. That sounds good to me.

• Anonymous posted at 10:35 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

To the Author of this post: I think you should settle for min wage, in fact, the exact numbers that you said. Oh wait, forgot, since you are getting the money per student like as if you owned the school, you have other expenses. Let’s take out $1000/month for electricity, water, and sewage. Oh wait and another $1000/year for TV/DVD player, internet, and the computer in your classroom. Oh wait we have to have books...hmmm(being cheap)$300/child that’s 7500(don’t worry we will buy them back at half price at the end of the year if they are not messed up.

• Anonymous posted at 10:30 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

First off, I have a degree in CJ...I also teach. Yes, teaching is a diffcult job, especially when you have OVERAGED students mingling with your babies....How many of you help your children at home...How many of you go to school just because.....So what about the teachers who teach where kids can't read, write, add , subtract,and lord know what else they can't do?????? what can you do with a 18 Y/O middle schooler????? GUESS YOU NEVER SAW THAT SIDE OF NCLB(No Child Left Behind0 being a teacher(some schools) is like caring for a kid w/ ds

• Anonymous posted at 10:18 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

And no, you have the right to complain about it, that is what free speach is all about. We (the majority) beleive that teachers are paid well enough. If teachers made $20,000 to start, yes that is underpaid. but $40k/year is well over the national average of salaries starting the first year. Some lawyers don't even make that their first year out of law school. How about them, are they underpaid? They will work 12-16 hours a day doing grunt work because they are new. Do they put the new teachers doing grunt work?

• Anonymous posted at 10:14 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Ok so let’s see.... you make over 40k a year and love what you do. What is the problem? Like I said, teachers get paid much more than many other fields that require the same education and more stress. Not to mention much more actual working time. Lets say a 1st year teacher works 12 hours a day for 200 days a year. That is $16.89/hour... how can you complain about that? P&P officers get $15.31/hour to start. Do you hear about them striking for a raise? No... Get in the classroom and teach, stop complaining.

• Anonymous posted at 9:18 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

You seem to be quite opinionated about teaching and teachers for not actually being a teacher and having no experience teaching.

• Anonymous posted at 8:58 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I am currently still paying student loans from obtaining my teaching degree. If I quit my job and took out MORE student loans, I would never be able to catch up, let alone buy a house and have a family. Think of logical means to obtain a PhD if that is your only solution to teachers complaining about their pay.

• Anonymous posted at 8:54 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

So, no matter how much you love your job, you should never complain about the salary. Just put yourself in debt and get yet another degree so you can make more, possibly at a job you will not enjoy as much. That is ridiculous. Also, Parole Officers are not held accountable for the actions of those they are "teaching". The individuals who committed the crimes are accountable for themselves. Not so with teaching. Compared to other states, La teachers have one of the lowest salaries.

• Anonymous posted at 8:52 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

So, I cannot say I am underpaid because I have no desire to get a PhD? It is too hard if you have a family to quit your job for at least a year to earn another degree. I also have no desire to teach college. I love teaching elementary school, I often just think that I do not get paid enough, for all of the work and stress I put into my job. I love my job and would not like to do anything else, including teaching post secondary with a PhD.

• Anonymous posted at 8:48 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Compared to other professionals who put in as many hours as we do, no we do not get paid enough!

• Anonymous posted at 8:47 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Teachers get summers off and they are off for every majer holiday. I wouldnt mind being a teacher no matter how much they make

• Anonymous posted at 8:41 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

If five hours were all we worked, where are your children for the other two hours? The post estimated the hours worked. We in fact work AT LEAST seven hours a day at school and numerous more hours at home after school and on weekends.

• Anonymous posted at 8:33 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I also dont mean to just talk about probation and parole,there are many other jobs that require teaching as a part of the job and they dont make a lot of money. Probation and Parole is one of the few that requires a college degree,that is why I am using it as an example.And I do agree that everyone chooses their line of work and if you want more, go for more, if you are happy at what you do then stay happy. Dont whine, and then not want to go back to school to get your phd.

• Anonymous posted at 8:30 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Lets even give them more than that "Another Parent"Lets say they work 9 hours a day (give them time for grading and all of that stuff) at 40536 for 180 days of work at 9 hours a day they make a little over $25 an hour. thats $10 more than the P&P officer makes that i mentioned earlier. And no matter what you say, the kids may be heathens, some may be criminals, but a P&P officer has ONLY criminals as students and they get much less money per hour.

• Anonymous posted at 8:24 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I agree they are under appreciated by some. At the same time they are idolized by others. Their pay is fair in my opinion, they are one of the higher paid positions by the state. About the "hardship" of getting a phd., do like every other professional and quit your job, get student loans, go into debt, and when you come out and make more money you can pay them off. Dont whine and say you can because it is too hard. If you dont want to do that, dont say you are underpaid.

• Anonymous posted at 7:53 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Thanks to all of the teachers out there!

• Anonymous posted at 7:52 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Techers are lazy. They want to do as little as posible and makes as much money as posible. Get an other job if you dont like teaching!

• Anonymous posted at 7:50 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Those of you who are not teachers talk like all we do is show up, babysit for a few hours, feed the children, then send them home. You have no idea how much work goes into planning lessons that meet state standards, as well as involving new and innovative learning techniques. My job lasts all day and usually long after I get home. Much more work is put into ensuring that these children receive the best education possible.

• Anonymous posted at 7:45 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

If all individuals who were in college changed their mind about becoming a teacher because they already knew what the pay was going to be, there would be even fewer teachers. We teach because we love it. I think I am paid fairly well, but it is no where near enough for the amount of time and effort I put into my job. People should really appreciate all the hard work teachers put into molding YOUR children.

• Anonymous posted at 7:38 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I like your idea for teacher pay. I have several neices who teach and I see how much they have to go through! To mention what I've noticed: spending their own money for supplies and to decorate class, using most of their free time on lesson plans and grading, heartache when they can't reach some students, and dealing with ungrateful, disrespectful, and often mean parents. Hats off to all teachers, I couldn't do it!

• Anonymous posted at 7:05 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

If your wife has a degree and is only a tutor, then she is probably not a certified teacher. Why doesn't she go to work in her field and then earn what her profession makes? She probably started tutoring as a stay-at-home mom just getting her feet wet back in the workforce. Don't say anything about what us teachers make. We chose this as our profession and stuck to it. Many "other degreed" people want to work in the system for the time off. Well, go back to where you initially wanted to be.

• Anonymous posted at 6:25 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

If it were so easy to receive your Phd, I can assure you, most of us would do so. It costs a lot of money to go back to school. Also, it is exhausting attempting to go back to school while also teaching and it is almost impossible to take off in order to obtain a Phd. Most of us just cannot afford it. I don't think teachers are underpaid, just underappreciated!

• Anonymous posted at 6:20 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

No one admitted five hours is all we work. The post stated that it would only count pay for five hours. If you are a teacher or you know a teacher, you would obviously know that we work more than five hours a day. Actually, we are in school for at least seven hours a day. Also, you cannot blame teachers for the individuals being serviced by the parole officers. That is another reason why teachers become frustrated. All of the responsibility for children is heaped on them and none on parents. No one is crying about being underpaid.

• Anonymous posted at 5:21 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

To AC: The comment that P&P are trying to teach those that the public school teachers failed to teach is EXTREMELY unfair. A lot of those people P&P are dealing with got EXACTLY what they put into school..NOTHING. You cannot blame teachers for students or parents who don't care about education. You can try to help someone all you want, but, if they don't make any effort, they will learn nothing. Shame on you for that comment.

• Anonymous posted at 3:24 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

I think school teachers are paid well enough. Let’s take a different kind of teacher, a Probation and Parole officer. They have the lovely job of trying to teach the people that the public school teachers failed to teach. They start at $30,000 a year, and work all year round.I am not exactly sure of the starting salary of school teachers, but it is over 30k a year.And then they only work 9 months out of the year.So who is underpaid?PS most P&P officers have college degrees,it is a requirement unless you were in the military,or 8 years experience.

• Anonymous posted at 3:06 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

Let's do the real math, 180 school days x 5hrs (which u just admited is all you work) = 900 hours divided by $40,536.00 (taken from the IBSB website for a teacher with 0 yrs exp and BA) = $45.04 per hour.. NOW quit crying about being underpaid... FYI, I have a college degree, a job, and a BMW... I made my decision on my career just like you made yours, you knew the salary before you even started college so why cry now??

• Anonymous posted at 1:54 am on Wed, Sep 24, 2008.

People like you make it bad for teachers, You need to take a week off and go seat in a class room. So make sure your kids r not the bad apple and back the teacher.

• Anonymous posted at 5:16 pm on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Count your blessings. My wife is a tutor. She Has a college degree, but she is paid $7 an hour 7 hours a day. She goes to school at 7 AM doesnt leave till 4 pm, Thats 9 hours. She doesnt get paid for lunch or planning hour. she gets No holiday pay,and No benefits (like Insurance..) Everyday school is closed she gets Nothing (like Hurricanes).7 x 7= $49 a day. $49 x 5=$245 a week. Then if she wants to get supplies or decorations for her room, she has to buy it herself. Count your blessings.

• Anonymous posted at 1:02 pm on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

To: couldn't pay me..WELL SAID!! I would surely want to take a belt to some of those kids! I wouldn't last a day, much less a week as a teacher! Granted, there are some "bad" seeds, but, the good far outweigh the bad from our experience.

• Anonymous posted at 10:51 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Also.... Teachers are supposed to teach because they want to teach, not becuase they want money... if you want money, get your phd and become a professor and you will make pretty good money and only have to teacha few classes a day, sometimes only 3 days a week, and if a student makes you mad, tell him or her to get out your class and not to come back.

• Anonymous posted at 10:42 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

All I know is that compared to other forms of teachers, Public School teachers dont do too bad. Lets take Probation and Parole Officers for example (most have college degree). They have the nice job of taking criminal and trying to teach them to act civialized. BTW these are the people that aparently the school teachers couldnt teach most of the time. What does a P&P officer start at? $30k/year. Whos job is easier, teaching kids 180 days a year, or teaching criminals who the teachers failed in teaching 365 days a year. I think teachers are overpaid.

• Anonymous posted at 9:16 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Yes, there is something wrong here. People do make the choice to be a teacher, but they make that choice because teaching is what they love to do. The do not decide to become teachers because of the time off and certainly not for the great pay. Great job teachers!

• Anonymous posted at 8:48 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

I think we should ask for minimum wage. It would be an additional 15,000 a year!

• Anonymous posted at 8:43 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

You could not pay me to teach in this day and age. Kids are disrespectful, disobedient, lazy, and rude. Not to mention the bad behavior of the parents. Kudos to the teachers!

• Anonymous posted at 8:38 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Yes, those rich teachers driving around in brand new Volvos has become such a problem! Come on! Very few people would work the ACTUAL hours we work and put as much effort in to helping other people's children do well and succeed in life.

• Anonymous posted at 8:36 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

We can drive Volvos because we are mostly married to professionals as well. Two COLLEGE educated people can probably purchase a Volvo. It's not a Bentley--give me a break. Wait--get a job and maybe you can have one too!

• Anonymous posted at 8:31 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

I am not complaining about my salary, nor do I think I am "poor". This message was posted for those who think teachers are overpaid. What difference would it make if I had bought a vehicle? Volvo isn't exactly a Mercedes! I pay a note on my car, as most other people do. I have a college education and I am currently back in college to further my education. I waited seven years to save up and buy a new vehicle, which was moderately priced with few accessories. I work hard for the small amount of respect and pay!

• Anonymous posted at 8:14 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Well put! Those who do not understand why teachers complain about their salary have never taught in a classroom.

• Anonymous posted at 7:29 am on Tue, Sep 23, 2008.

Let me guess, you are one of those "POOR" teachers who just bought a new volvo???

Recent comments

Posted 13 hours ago by Anonymous.

article: New Stadium & Field

Politics at it's best. You can swear Eddie boy himself was running this School board. -anonymous

More...

Posted 13 hours ago by Anonymous.

article: Israel stole classified US information

5:59 "Kind of sounds like a country run by dictators." You just now waking up? The U.S. is A 2 Party dictatorship.

More...

Facebook Fans