Everyone knows what a short memory, or a convenient memory, that most Americans have.  They seem to forget a lot of extremely important details and events that occur one, two or three years ago, including myself, but I do remember a lot of things that people say or do years ago and sometimes decades ago.

For example, I remember this saying like it was yesterday. “The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally.  Leadership means that ‘the Buck Stops Here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today on the backs of our children and grand-children. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.  Americans  deserve better.”

The above quote has been labeled by many as the quote of the decade if not this century. And this quote came from — you know who — Barack H. Obama.

He made this quote in March 2006. So what happened? We all know the answer.

Jim Frith

New Iberia

Welcome to the discussion.
Please Note:
  • Comments are not verified for accuracy, nor are the identities of users verified, so consider this as you weigh statements or opinions offered.
  • Comments will not be posted if they don't show a reasonable attempt to follow basic rules of grammar and punctuation. Text message type abbreviations should be avoided.
  • Comments should be civil. You can say someone's ideas are stupid but not say another poster is stupid.
  • Comments are reviewed prior to posting by the editors of The Daily Iberian. If you have questions, email news@daily-iberian.com.
  • Set up a user name and permanent commenting screen name or post a comment using the guest feature For either you will be asked to provide an email address but note, there is no verification.