default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

School Lunches

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 1:05 pm

What exactly is going on in our parish school cafeterias? The kids are all complaining and coming home famished! These is no way a kid can go all day on a 3 inch piece of bread, 2 chicken nuggets, 5 pineapple tidbits and 4 french fries! I understand they (someone special who I am sure has kids that get catered 5 stars meals around the clock) want to cut back on calories, but come on! Just because you cut back on the amount of disgusting chicken nuggets and french fries you are giving them, you are NOT helping them at all. You are HURTING them! Feed them a more filling meal that is healthier for them that this little junk you are giving them. What a disgrace. We are now taking care of our kids like they are inmates in a parish jail. These kids can not concentrate on an empty stomach! What is wrong with the people?? NO common SENSE!?

Oh and before you few selective special people start ranting about my kid going to s! chool to learn not eat.. Both my kids do very well in school thank you very much in advance and yes, I will send my youngest with a lunch from home but the older ones who are already stressed out from the pressures of HIGH SCHOOL will not bring a bag lunch I can assure you of that. So people stop making excuses for the powers that be, trust me they don't give a care about YOU either!

Can the concerned parents please step up and let's try to get something done for OUR children? What NEXT? Have them reading in the dark!?

BTW, I understand there is an election coming up. This is the 2nd time I try to write about this topic in the forum. Wow.

• Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

36 comments:

• Anonymous posted at 4:31 pm on Tue, Oct 16, 2012.

Anonymous Posts: 129800

You IMPLIED THAT by saying Mitt doesn't have time to REPLY!!!!

Nope, I'm saying straight up, MITT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE OUTSIDE OF THE 1%.

and
    Hilary Clinton Quote
    "I take responsibility," Mrs Clinton told CNN. "I'm in charge of the state department's 60,000-plus people all over the world [at] 275 posts."
    "The president and the vice-president wouldn't be knowledgeable about specific decisions that are made by security professionals."

Security had been reduced at an earlier date. Obama doesn't run every aspect of government. That's why there are others, responsible for for the state department and ambassadors. No one was ready for an attack. Sad but true.

Fox News, the Republican biased new chanel.
    QUOTE:
    "What would Romney do? He’d insert the U.S. military to extend American dominance and build a new world order".

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/11/let-gary-johnson-debate/#ixzz29TR4hB93

• Anonymous posted at 9:33 am on Tue, Oct 16, 2012.

You IMPLIED THAT by saying Mitt doesn't have time to REPLY!!!! Barack doesn't have the TIME to respond about WHO is responsible for the DEATHS of FOUR AMERICANS in Libya!!! He wants to DELAY until AFTER the election!!! How INCOMPETENT and CALLOUS this Administration is!!!! LIES after LIES coming from the White House!!!
    If it were not for Fox news staying on this story the majority of Americans would not be aware how INCOMPETENT Barack is!!!!
    His tenure is only going to last until November 8,2012 and GOOD RIDDANCE to him and Michelle's attempt to shove their LIBERAL AGENDA down the American public's throats along with ALL his Communist CRONIES in the White House!!!! LIFE"S GOOD!!!! WOO-HOO!!!

-Outraged

• Anonymous posted at 10:02 am on Fri, Oct 12, 2012.

~Outraged,

WAKE UP. The article says Mitt was too LAZY to respond the the questionnaire. Nothing said about starving any children.

• Anonymous posted at 7:51 am on Fri, Oct 12, 2012.

The biggest problem I have always seen in the lunchrooms is the kids only eat "certain" foods. They have been spoiled at home and most don't eat greens, certain cuts of meat, very little bread, and hardly any milk. We have trained our children to throw away; we are a throw away society. SO before you blame the nutritionist in the school lunch program; look at what YOU have been feeding your kids since they were little. As for Michelle Obama's healthy food program; if she's concerned about obesity, she needs to look at her own behind and find out what's following HER around.

• Anonymous posted at 3:29 pm on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

11:07am Poster,TAKE a BREAK!!!! I thought I was bad about my criticism of Barack but you are one sick puppy!!! Mitt wants to STARVE disabled children??????
    I hope they DISSOLVE the dept of Education!!!! The Federal government has NO BUSINESS in this!!!

-Outraged

• Tomtom posted at 2:51 pm on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

Tomtom Posts: 2409

Obama says Romney will cut education by 20 percent but that is based on a white house “assumption” based on Ryan’s overall budget cuts and the Mass Ed. Budget.

“An Obama for America ad uses a big number to attack Romney’s record on school funding in Massachusetts, saying, "In Romney's first budget, he cut $248.7 million from K-12 education." "Romney’s first budget" sounds like a proposal coming from the governor.

Romney actually proposed a modest increase in two K-12 spending categories and larger cuts elsewhere. “The $248.7 million in education-specific cuts reflected primarily the work of the Democratic Legislature in a time of serious financial crisis that predated the governor.”

“Romney, tasked with closing a substantial budget gap, ultimately signed a document that embodied the Legislature’s cuts — and then tried to use his veto to cut further. But he shares responsibility for that $248.7 million with the veto-proof majority of lawmakers.

We rate the ad’s claim Half True.”

Source is Politifact.com.

• Tomtom posted at 2:42 pm on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

“The Ryan plan, which has been approved twice by the U.S. House of Representatives, would result in a $2.7 billion cut to Title I grants for disadvantaged students.”

“The estimates are based on a White House analysis of the Ryan budget, which assumes that it would cut non-defense discretionary spending by almost 20 percent starting in fiscal year 2014.”

Source is Education Weekly

Also note the word “assumes”

Ryan’s budget (not necessarily Romney’s budget) includes significantly large cuts in domestic spending, but there is no way his proposal would go down to the level of what is spent on IDEA. Any cuts made there would be made by the Dept. of Ed.

• Anonymous posted at 11:07 am on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

Mitt Romney: Do 6.5 million votes matter?

The number 6.5 million is the amount of children that the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) serves throughout the nation.

The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) sent a questionnaire to the 2012 Presidential candidates’ campaigns asking key questions about the education issues impacting students. President Barack Obama's responses to the questionnaire is available online. It is a downloadable pdf file.
    http://tinyurl.com/8z4wvyn

However, NCLD did not receive a response from Governor Mitt Romney.
    Do the lives of the children with learning disabilities, and the votes of the parents of 6.5 million children even matter to Mr. Romney? It appears not.

Full Article: http://tinyurl.com/9sevhxz
    Romney's budget plan includes a 33% cut to education. Is this why he isn't concerned with NCLD? Are they a non-issue to him? Think before you vote.

• Anonymous posted at 10:22 am on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

Anonymous posted at 7:39 am on Thu, Oct 11, 2012

That sounds like a wonderful plan. Bring my child home and feed him/her a decent meal. It's not like they are really missing anything from the lame teachers with their outdated books anyway.

• Anonymous posted at 7:39 am on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

Get over it because it is here to stay you dont like it than stay home and cook your child a home cooked meal everyday instead of feeding them fast foods everyday.Most of this parish is on free lunches,try to go to mcdonalds and see if you will get a free lunch!!Yall want everything free from the government thats whats wrong with this world we live in today.Guidelines,guidelines,guidelines someone has to follow them.Sooooo get over it thats the way its going to be!!!!

• Anonymous posted at 9:08 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

My my didn't lafayette's lunch look IMPRESSIVE tonight on the 6 Oclock news. Wooowee, a choice between a salad OR a fruit bowl.. Must Be NICE! I guess we can now assume cafeteria workers in Iberia Parish are eating the healthy portions of our children's lunch. I don't like it one bit and I say we should get to the bottom of this real quick!

• Anonymous posted at 7:26 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

-Jan B.
    There is no "IF"
    it's in his budget.

• Anonymous posted at 5:13 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Cafeteria worker if you do not care for the nutrition of the children, get another career!
    WoW!

• Anonymous posted at 4:11 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Hey Lunch lady, if you don't care about the nutrition of children then find a new career. People like you is what ruins the world.

• DAVID1 posted at 2:58 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

DAVID1 Posts: 219

Café worker: please check the serving portion, that it matches the FEDERAL guidelines and not less.

• DAVID1 posted at 2:56 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Sending a bagged lunch seems to defeat the purpose. does the kid have a place to store the food safely to prevent spoilage? How long will the government allow the family to bypass food guidelines by bringing an extra snack or alternate lunch? How will the impoverished family afford to supply an alternate lunch. Remember we are in an economically depressed city and not all can afford buying extra... Even with food stamp recipients (AKA SNAP) the amount alloted may not allow extra food to be bought. Get a job?????? Good luck with that>
    \

• Whatever posted at 2:00 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Whatever Posts: 5

To the poster 10:37 am on Wed. Oct 10.....
    If you do indeed work for a school in Iberia Parish, why then are you on The Daily Iberian website posting things at 10:37 in the morning? GET OFF OF THE COMPUTER AND DO YOUR JOB!!!

• Anonymous posted at 12:22 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

I visit schools all over the parish. My complaint is mainly in the High Schools. What they are serving is basically is the type of food you get at a service station to heat in the microwave. Hamburgers, pizza, chicken nuggets, ham sandwiches, breakfast burritos, and occasionaly beans or gumbo. They serve only enough for an elementary student and expect the full grown students to survive. Take your $3.50 (visitors price) to any high school and see if you are full.

-Scudo

• Anonymous posted at 10:37 am on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

I work in a school cafeteria for iberia parish you dont like what we r serving than send your child with a lunch from home!!!!

• Anonymous posted at 9:10 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

I am in schools frequently. I see the amount of food thrown into the garbage cans. The kids don't even eat what they are given. They look at it and throw it out. That's why they are hungry when the get home. It's not the amount they are given, it's because they aren't eating. Go to the school cafeteria at lunchtime and watch the line as they go up to dispose of their plates. It's a shame to waste so much food. Kids starving in other parts of the world would gladly eat the food that is being wasted.

-Annonymous

• Anonymous posted at 4:24 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

I also agree with you, my daughter has complained over and over that they barely get any food for their lunch, and we pay full price for what is baciscally a snack. This is riduculas when she gets home in the evening she is starving then eats again for supper. I think this new meal plan is stupid, and its just making the kids over eat in the evenings which is alot worse than it use to be.

-concerned

• Anonymous posted at 4:22 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

The kids are not eating a filling lunch. Then they are buying junk out the machines to fill them up. So this isn't working out so great. Thanks Michelle Obama.

• Anonymous posted at 12:49 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

Well, why is the parish following these ridiculous standards anyways?? What about the kids who stay after school for sports or other reasons?? Also, what about the children who only get this one hot meal a day?? School lunches are not making kids fat!! What should be done is restricting what foods can be purchased with food stamps!!! Welcome to Obama's world! Hope you all have learned your lesson.

• Tomtom posted at 12:21 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

DI, March 12, 2009, “School Board ups price of the lunches”

“Menard said approximately 74 percent of Iberia Parish students receive free or reduced lunches.”

That article is 3-½ years old. Since poverty and food stamps have exploded over the last 3-½ years I suspect the 74 percent is way understated.

Obama/Biden 2012?? Are you sure??

• Anonymous posted at 12:13 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

This is a national problem. I read ( on MSN ) 2weeks ago that high school students in several Calif. school districts were boycotting their lunchrooms for the same reason. Just another way the goverment is controlling our lives. Controlling obesity in children is suppose to lower healthcare cost in the future ( and probably would ), however this is right or wrong the government telling us what we should do. This is Michelle Obama's idea and was pushed through by the current administration. Since this was done to lower healthcare cost (Obamacare), even "IF" Mitt Romney cuts the education budget USDA guidelines will not be effected.

-Jan B.

• Anonymous posted at 12:00 pm on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

This is not just a local issue. Students and parents across the nation are facing this issue. Students in Kansas created a youtube video,http://youtu.be/2IB7NDUSBOo, to protest the change in lunches. They have also started a Facebook page called Nutrition Nannies to help repeal these laws.

• Tomtom posted at 11:59 am on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

9:17, one of the best things Mitt, or any other president, could do would be to cut federal education funding to zero. Education is a state responsibility. The Department of Education takes $10 from the state and will give back $9 if the state will do as its told. The other dollar is needed to run the Department of Education empire.

Also, school lunches are paid for from the USDA budget, not the education budget. And if you’re poor USDA will even subsidize a home purchase for you. Not sure what subsidized home loans have to do with agriculture but apparently the government thinks there’s a correlation.

• Anonymous posted at 7:55 am on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

Yes, DI please get on the job and help our children out. This is ridiculous.

• Anonymous posted at 6:58 am on Tue, Oct 9, 2012.

I don't agree with Government coming in and telling States and Local entities what to do. That is just backward. I also don't agree with the fact that they are trying to take unhealthy food and cut calories by giving less. Give more healthy items like fruits and vegetables and less pizza and chicken nuggets.

-Scudo

• Anonymous posted at 9:24 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

What is really strange is that it seems we are the only ones doing this. I have been talking to friends all over the United States and asking them about any changes in the school lunch programs at their schools and they all say there is nothing different, some still have soda machines in the schools and juice machines.... why is it we are the only ones that seem to be complying?I would love for the DI to do some true investigative news and check this out.

• Anonymous posted at 9:17 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

Get ready, because if Mitt gets in he says 33% cut to all educational spending.
    The 1% are rich and don't need education.

• Tomtom posted at 2:56 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

Welcome to Obama’s world.

Obama/Biden 2012. They know what your kid should have for lunch.

• DAVID1 posted at 2:48 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

The local SCHOOL NUTRITION PROGRAM will receive a few pennies per meal served to offset increased cost to provide fresh fruits and vegetables. The kids should be able to request additional carbohydrates with lunch but not ant extra protein( 2 ounce is the FEDERAL limit).

• DAVID1 posted at 2:44 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

Just in case you have not been made aware : It is an OBAMA thing. He signed into law the healthy kid act which is overseen by the USDA. The law is based upon the Michelle Obama healthy kid program since they have determined out children are too fat and they must intervene. You can search this website for an article concerning the lunch program. The local School Nutrition Department is only following UNITED STATES FEDERAL FOOD GUIDELINES> If they adhere to the legal calorie count (600 to 700 calories for 8th grade and under and about 800 calories for 9th grade and up) is yet to be determined. The hungry kid phenomena is USA wide not just local. Contact your FEDERAL elected official for your area for concern.

• Anonymous posted at 2:35 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

The teachers, athletes and visitors get the same meal. Though Teachers and Visitors pay more. It's a disgrace. Today was pizza and hamburgers. The other day was pizza and chicken nuggets. What is this? Fast food?

-Scudo

• Anonymous posted at 2:09 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

You can thank Michelle obama's federal school lunch program!

Recent comments

Posted 4 hours ago by lon e b.

article: The Law

Yes, and Zues created Pandora and the box. Depends on which Merhology you want to believe in. But, no matter whaytyou believe i…

More...

Posted 4 hours ago by Anonymous.

article: Racism

10:48 - Aren't they both oppressors of the our great southern states? Neither one would want us to use the cross of St. George in…

More...

Facebook Fans