I wish people on this forum would spend more time writing about our history. For example I can name two famous guys who stayed here each for a time. Howard Hughes the billionaire from Humble, Texas stayed in a rented house on Highway 182 West near the airport for a time. Hughes even dated a local lady who was a telephone operator for Southern Bell Telephone Co. She recently passed away. I interviewed her about him but she was always afraid to go public with her story. ( when I die I promise you will get all the details) Also a well known movie critic , Rex Reed , stayed at the Treelawn Trailer Park on Center Street across from Iberia Animal Clinic in the late 1950's. One night on the Johnny Carson Show he spoke about how lonely he was living in New Iberia with his parents. Rex said just about every night he would walk to the Essanee Theater and escape the boredom of the small town watching movies. In the summer of 1968 Senator Edward Kennedy came to Iberia Parish for a visit to the Avery Island Salt Mine. His brother Bobby has been killed in June and the trip was kept real secret. A friend and I found about it and we ended up seeing Kennedy in Crowley, LA later that night. He had been a guest of then Congressman Edwin Edwards and Crowley City Judge Edmond Reggie. Well there are so , so many more interesting things we could write about on this wonderful forum, I just wanted to take the time to mention a few.
Welcome to the discussion.
- Comments are not verified for accuracy, nor are the identities of users verified, so consider this as you weigh statements or opinions offered.
- Comments will not be posted if they don't show a reasonable attempt to follow basic rules of grammar and punctuation. Text message type abbreviations should be avoided.
- Comments should be civil. You can say someone's ideas are stupid but not say another poster is stupid.
- Comments are reviewed prior to posting by the editors of The Daily Iberian. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set up a user name and permanent commenting screen name or post a comment using the guest feature For either you will be asked to provide an email address but note, there is no verification.