default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Famous people who lived in New Iberia.

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2008 12:00 am

I wish people on this forum would spend more time writing about  our history. For example I can name two famous guys who stayed here each for a time.  Howard  Hughes  the billionaire from Humble, Texas  stayed in a rented house on  Highway  182 West near the airport for a time. Hughes even dated a local lady who was a telephone operator for Southern Bell Telephone Co. She recently passed away. I interviewed her about him but she was always afraid to go public with her story. ( when I die I promise you will get all the details)   Also a well known movie critic , Rex Reed , stayed at the Treelawn Trailer Park on Center Street across from Iberia Animal Clinic in the late 1950's. One night  on the Johnny Carson Show he spoke about how lonely he was living in New Iberia with his parents. Rex said just about every night he would walk to the Essanee  Theater and escape the boredom of the small town watching movies.  In the summer of 1968 Senator Edward Kennedy  came to Iberia Parish for a  visit to the Avery Island Salt Mine.  His brother Bobby has been killed in June and the trip was kept real secret. A friend and I found about it and we ended up seeing Kennedy in Crowley, LA later that night. He had been a guest of then Congressman Edwin Edwards  and Crowley City Judge Edmond Reggie.  Well there are so , so many more interesting things we could write about on this wonderful forum, I just wanted to take the time to mention a few.

• Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

31 comments:

• Anonymous posted at 3:40 pm on Tue, Dec 9, 2008.

Anonymous Posts: 126751

last one for now, i'll probably never come back to this site, but some people will be able to figure out who I am when I say this... Famous people. F. Lee Bailey came to New Iberia to defend a murder suspect who hired him. He had a meeting with the then-DA [fill in the blank] and after that meeting he left town and never returned - leaving his prospective client in jail to fend for himself. That is a true story and it must have happened in the late 60's or early to mid-70's.

• Anonymous posted at 3:37 pm on Tue, Dec 9, 2008.

born in exile and cloaked in legend, [fill in blank here if you are really from New Iberia -- you will know what famous person goes here] will live forever wherever excellence is first among virtuesthe lazy smell of burning sugar cane and the sweet smoky blue haze that fills the air in October, the tempting but never arriving crisp, cool wintery tease, Homecoming, first love, black and yellow parades the Queen of Andalusia, Don Bouligny and the Settlers braving the Teche and all of its dangers earlier than most of the rest of the settlers of this Continent.

• Anonymous posted at 3:31 pm on Tue, Dec 9, 2008.

a mystery wrapped inside of an enigma, the catacombs behind the old Burke Concrete Company across from the Trappey's warehouse where the fermenting peppers would waft through the air and burn my nostrils when the school bus would pass by, the City Park and the "Teardrop", and the lazy, swooning, blackwater Bayou Teche telling you that you will never grow old and never be eviscerated of spirit, love and home as long as you cast your eyes upon her slow, seductive waters.

• Anonymous posted at 9:56 am on Mon, Dec 8, 2008.

I am good friends with Robert Duvall, he will be visiting me this weekend in New Iberia. And no, I won't tell you who I am or where I live. He's a very private and come here to "get away". We're gonna do some hunting, maybe a little fishing weather permitting. I met him at Mulate's years ago, we hit it off and he usually comes about twice a year to stay with us. And no, I'm not rich, just a regular guy.

• Anonymous posted at 3:55 am on Sun, Nov 23, 2008.

In the late 1980's I was working at Vince's Restaurant, on Iberia Street then, when Dale Roberson ( Wagon Train) came in to eat with a local lawyer. He posed for a picture with me. When I returned from break they had developed the pictures and left me a copy on the desk. I still have the picture.

• Anonymous posted at 9:27 am on Wed, Nov 19, 2008.

I remember being a young girl, and seeing Hank Williams Sr , Minnie Pearl and others behind NISH when it was on Center Street. I think it was a show that Dudley J LeBlanc, maker of "Hadacol". He used to use these people to promote the product.

• Anonymous posted at 7:42 am on Wed, Nov 19, 2008.

I used to work at the Comfort Suites in New Iberia and while there I got to meet the cast of IN the Electric Mist. The movie they made based on the James Lee Burke book.John Goodman, Peter Sarsgaard, and Kelly Mcdonald

• Anonymous posted at 12:35 pm on Tue, Nov 18, 2008.

Ellen Barkin was here a few months ago. She is very nice. She smoked a few cigarettes with our group outside of Clementine

• Anonymous posted at 3:49 pm on Fri, Nov 14, 2008.

Now that it's out in the open. What happened to Deslatte,La.? I am sure my family has alot of history to be told of. I have been working on a geneaology project for some time now, and discovered that my last name is really a town.' Deslatte,La.' is on the map. I'd loved to discover what my ancestors have taken to heaven with them. for the most part, I believe Iberia Parish has alot to do with it. Please contact me if you have any information for me and my family.Sincerely,Marie Deslatte @ gmail.com

• Anonymous posted at 2:32 pm on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

I thought Rob Vines was famous.

• Anonymous posted at 9:18 am on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

I remember one Saturday I was in Bi-Lo with my Mom and we saw Carrie Fisher. I was a little girl and accidently embarrassed the daylights out of my Mom by saying out loud "Look Mom, there's Princess Lela without her hair!" Ms. Fisher just nodded at us as my Mom turned every shade of red imaginable!

• Anonymous posted at 8:34 am on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

Tina Turner use to play at the old Winter Warm on Hwy 182 east near Orange Groove

• Anonymous posted at 8:09 am on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

I remember when Brandon Fraser came to town. My son and I were taking karate at Acadiana Karate and the staff was going to be spending time with him.

• Anonymous posted at 6:31 am on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

Soko Richardson born in new iberia played drums for Ike and Tina Revue...Don't know how famous he is/was?

• Anonymous posted at 5:06 am on Wed, Nov 12, 2008.

Peter Jennings and his wife visited Avery Island some years back, even took a ride in an airboat. I know there have been numerous "celebrities" that have visited " The Island " And lets not forget our local author Mr. James Lee Burke. I believe Shaq was in town a while back too.

• Anonymous posted at 4:31 am on Tue, Nov 11, 2008.

I remember a few years back Brandon Fraser came to tour Avery Island and stayed there a couple days. One night he went eat downtown and then went to a few of the bars. It was weird to see him out in New Iberia but no one seemed to bother him they just acted like he was a regular person.

• Anonymous posted at 1:44 am on Tue, Nov 11, 2008.

By far, the most interesting read on the forum in quite some time! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous posted at 12:57 am on Tue, Nov 11, 2008.

To curious, at the Gouguenheim I believe. My mother was working at a store on Main St. when they came in and told them.

• Anonymous posted at 1:41 pm on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

Wow! You should write a book on these things! I'd sure purchase one! Thanks!

• Anonymous posted at 11:46 am on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

this is more like what i find interesting. thanks to whoever you are! finally something worth the read, and POSITIVE! please keep them coming!! kudos

• Anonymous posted at 9:59 am on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

I dont know if it is true but I know I heard that John Goodman, McCully Culkin, John Candy, and Chris Farley have all eaten at LaRosier

• Anonymous posted at 8:58 am on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

Smiley (Frog) Burnette, Gene Autrey sidekick came to New Iberia around 1959. I saw him sing on a flatbed in Torrido Village.

• Anonymous posted at 7:19 am on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

Finally something worth reading on here. Keep the stories coming. Can't wait to find out more.

• Anonymous posted at 1:50 am on Mon, Nov 10, 2008.

Beyonce Knowles grandmother was from New Iberia. Her clothing line "Dereon" was inspired by her grandmother. She even mentions her family in New Iberia on her DVD in her B-Day 2006 Duo!

• Anonymous posted at 4:02 pm on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

Where in New Iberia did he propose?

• Anonymous posted at 8:05 am on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

well don't stop with this one cause I never knew so enlighten me I'm iterested.

• Anonymous posted at 4:33 am on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

I know the author fo the original post and can tell you all of this is true. His mind is like lock box of Iberia Parish history. As I have often said, I just wish he would spend his time writing a book or a series of books. Once he is gone, we will lose a treasure trove of knowledge, which is now locked up in his brain. Then he'll have enough money repay his loans.

• Anonymous posted at 3:42 am on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

I know Sen Kennedy came here like said. I know the guy that gave him a tour of the mine he was a supervisor at the time. He has told me the story a few times. I think Sen Kennedy's wife is related to the McIlhenny family some how.

• Anonymous posted at 2:22 am on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

Elly Mae Clampet ( Donna Douglas) milked cows at a dairy on the corner of Admiral Dolye and Iberia. Mr Universe , also Mr America ( Casey Viator) grew up and trained here.

• Anonymous posted at 1:08 am on Sun, Nov 9, 2008.

Mario Lopez proposed to Ali Landry here. Does that count?

• Anonymous posted at 1:30 pm on Sat, Nov 8, 2008.

I don't know if any of that is true, but Mae West and W.C. Fields supposedly stayed at The Shadows.

Recent comments

Posted 5 hours ago by Tomtom.

article: Mayor: City has revenue problem

If you elect me mayor I promise I will not propose more that 2 tax increases a year. If you elect me to the parish council I won…

More...

Posted 5 hours ago by Anonymous.

article: Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Dear God!!!! Are we a nation being led by a bunch of "Narcissus"????

More...

Facebook Fans