default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Congress race

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:25 am

As a cane farmer my whole life I can only wonder why jeff landry is not behind the farm bill that would help our parish and industry? I hope the people iberia parish get the facts from the congressional record and make informed decisions come November

• Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

21 comments:

• Anonymous posted at 12:49 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

Anonymous Posts: 131846

For one, I NEVER hired migrant workers and vowed never to. One of the reasons I quit was because the only locals that were available to work in the field either were on drugs, were always going to court, didn't show up for work, or had an excuse why they couldn't come to work. It got to be "as the world turns". Go ahead and eat all that foreign sugar laced will all the unlabeled pesticides we couldn't use. People like you have all the answers but none of the fortitude to do the tasks of a farmer. If farming is so great, go and borrow upwards of 1/2 million and start your own farm. Report back here in a few years. If you survive that long.

-C.C.

• Anonymous posted at 3:52 pm on Sun, Oct 7, 2012.

How can a CANE farmer say" dont complain with your mouth full"? We should thank the imported workers for making our local CANE farmers a good living. We cant import cheap cane sugar but we can import the labor to grow a crop that only exists because of government tarrifs. CC, just about everyone living in our community has an ancestor that farmed. Who elected the politicians in Washington?

-JImmy

• Anonymous posted at 10:53 pm on Sat, Oct 6, 2012.

Nice try. Get a life. You're like the proverbial fly to be swatted. Have a blessed day. Not.

-C.C.

• Tomtom posted at 4:29 pm on Fri, Oct 5, 2012.

Tomtom Posts: 2482

CC, guess I made a mistake by trying to debate corporate welfare with someone who’s lived off corporate warfare for……how many generations?

• Anonymous posted at 2:17 am on Fri, Oct 5, 2012.

Tomtom,
    You want to talk about corn. That's why they call it "big corn". The corn lobby and it's lobbyist pushed to have ethanol as and additive to gasoline. Corn overtook sugar as a substitute sweetener; the reason I believe we have so much obese people here in the U.S.. HFCS is poison. Do I realize? Dude, you are talking to a descendant of generations of farmers. Don't blame the farmer for the screwed up politicians we have in Washington. For years now you have had a grudge against farmers. You need to get your facts straight. I refuse to let the likes of you smear me, my deceased father, and his father, and his father. We are not the problem. Make your own garden and see how well that goes. Don't complain with a full mouth!

-C.C.

• Tomtom posted at 2:44 pm on Thu, Oct 4, 2012.

CC, do you realize the government keeps the price of sugar high with limited import quotas?

Do you realize import quotas were established before the Civil War as a way to keep the market value of slaves high? Cheap foreign sugar would have put southern sugar farmers out of business and devastated the slave market.

Because of import quotas our sugar prices, and all prices for foods using sugar are artificially higher than necessary. There have been times when US sugar sold for $0.21 per pound when the world market price was less than $0.03 per pound.

There is no reason for US sugar farms to exist. Too many third world countries can produce it much cheaper than we can. Eliminate import quotas and sugar farmers will raise corn or cattle, which would lower the price of corn and beef.

All large farms are nothing but wards of the state while small farms are on their own.

• Anonymous posted at 1:24 pm on Thu, Oct 4, 2012.

I would love to see Boustany and Landry have debate like on TV last night. I think landry would get a a-- whooping like the pres did... It happens everytime hot air meets cold truth. As far as jeff being DA would be perfect him and romo would be a real dynamic duo in iberia parish. We would really start to move forward.

• Anonymous posted at 6:48 am on Thu, Oct 4, 2012.

I'd rather Jeff as District Attorney than in Congress. Come home and clean house Jeff!

• Anonymous posted at 6:16 am on Thu, Oct 4, 2012.

You people are clueless. We in the U.S. pay a smaller portion of our gross income on groceries than most anyone in the world. Farm programs keep food prices from violent swings; up or down. For some,the stable prices enable people to budget their other revenue for huge houses, camps, boats, upper class cars and trucks, and all sorts of items to occupy their leisure time. Most kids nowadays think food comes from the store. In most cases,the government farm programs give the farmers just enough incentive to risk everything they own on another crop; hoping the next year will be better. Do ya'll know that 80% of the money in the farm bill goes to cover FOOD STAMPS and FHA loans?. No, I know you didn't! Spoken from an X-farmer. Peace. C.C.

-C.C.

• Skeeter posted at 6:48 pm on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Skeeter Posts: 300

We have to borrow between 0.40 to 0.50 of every $1.00 the federal government spends and we have someone who probably talks about how big the federal government has gotten but yet they have their hands out for "share". When do we all stop sucking on the government teat when we could do for ourselves?

• Anonymous posted at 4:20 pm on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Isnt it funny that LOGA released a statement on 9/27/2012 by Don Briggs that they are not supporting H.R. 2838 and landrys amendment section 608. Wake up iberia parish landry is not good for the oil industry. He is good for his own pockets and his friends in the boat industry. Vote for stark if you want a real candidate who has honest intentions.

• Anonymous posted at 2:24 pm on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Well Pat Viator, looks like your attempt to bash Jeff has failed. Boustany and yourself need to stop with these horrible attacks. Everytime Boustany attacks Jeff, Boustany is made to look like the liar that he is and Jeff comes out in the end. On Nov 6th, I will be voting AGAINST lifetime politicians. What's up Doc?

-the Truth

• Anonymous posted at 1:38 pm on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

The problem here is not whether Jeff or Dr. Boustany voted for or against the farm bill. The problem is that there was a bill to take money from tax payers and use it to prop up ANY industry. Moreover, the fact that this has been the practice for so long that people incorrectly believe that this is justified, and the way things should be done is what bothers me.

We have to move past the mentality that the government can provide! Remember that the government CANNOT give something that it did not first take from someone else.

• Anonymous posted at 12:12 pm on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Before asking why Jeff voted against the bill, go online and read the entire bill and all the amendments. Just because a bill has one good aspect does not make it worthy of becoming law. Remember, politicians in Congress will load up a bill with so much pork you can hear it squealing all the way down to the Gulf Coast. Americans need to wake up and understand that unless we decrease spending in all areas of government (including farm entitlements), we are done!!!! Congressman Landry has always worked to reduce wasteful government spending and I support him because he represents all of South Louisiana, not just the country club set like his Republican opponent. .

-Taxpayer

• Anonymous posted at 10:44 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

I support the farmers, I buy their goods. But, this country is broke. The idea of the government bailing out each industry that suffers losses is getting out of hand. Hard work and good morals made this country great and that is the only thing that will keep this nation great. The government should be around to be a safety net not to take the risk out of every industry. The sugar cane farmers had a bunch of years of low incomes, then lately that has turned around and sugar prices are souring. It's call the free market. Farmers, make it while you can and save some for a rainy day.

• Anonymous posted at 10:43 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Gee, a farmer who is cluless and selfish. Could it not be Congressman Landry is against a part of the bill that expands the food stamp program and he does support the farmer? Why is it farmers seem to whine each time they don't get their handout? Seen any poor farmers around here? No, they are to busy complaining about TIF while their property values rise because of the infrastructure improvements brought about because of TIF. What is the difference between a welfare receipent and a farmer; one works for his subsidy and the other doesn't.

• Anonymous posted at 9:47 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Not only did Jeff send a letter to Boehner demanding the bill be taken up, he also introduced legislation that would greatly improve the financial burdens on farmers. See links below.

http://www.idfa.org/key-issues/category/dairy-policy--economics/farm-bill/details/7615/

http://landry.house.gov/press-release/landry-introduces-market-based-solution-help-farmers-fishermen

He also received the Farm Bureau "Friend of the Farmer" award. Plus, he worked very hard to successfully ensure that the Sugar Program remained untouched by the 2012 Bill.

I mean, Come on Man! Get your facts straight.

• Tomtom posted at 9:31 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

No farmer should receive taxpayer funding. If you can’t stand on your own, like most other businesses, maybe you should go into another line of work.

Subsidizing farmers means we’re subsidizing food prices to every country they export to.

Even the darling of the tea party, Michele Bachmann, receives farm subsidies and she’s never had dirt under her fingernails.

It's another welfare program that needs to be stopped.

• Anonymous posted at 9:09 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

It does not matter that Jeff is against the farm bill, we are tired of welfare to farmers anyway. I believe in free market and that goes for sugar farmers as well. Government has to stop with the free cell phones, welfare, food stamps, health insurance and subsidizing farmers, banks, auto manufacturers , and student loans.
    As long as Jeff votes against all of the above he gets my vote.

• Tomfoolery posted at 9:04 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Tomfoolery Posts: 1356

He has an office here in town you know. He will be here in New Iberia until after the election. Why don't you go by and ask him?
    I'm sure that we would all like to know the answer to that question.

• Anonymous posted at 7:28 am on Wed, Oct 3, 2012.

Why don't you take your head out of the sand and ask Jeff Landry why he is against the farm bill. Don't you think you owe it to yourself to at least do that ? Is there something in the farm bill that may not be good for the farmers ? Geez, and you claim to be a farmer. Better yet, maybe Jeff Landry supports the farmers, but you need to make a phone call.

-Ask Jeff

Recent comments

Posted 8 hours ago by catchme.

article: David Ditch Breaking The Rules

Anon 1:36pm....That is correct as Ackal and his goonies will enforce the laws only on the ones they choose to enforce them for. …

More...

Posted 9 hours ago by Anonymous.

article: Daily Iberian asks to halt restraining …

I just want to applaud the writer of this article for managing to dance around the true and newsworthy facts that are legally uns…

More...

Facebook Fans